Vegan Cheesy Noodle Sauce + Pesto Version
This sauce and ALL of the other cheesy, saucy noodle dishes are always a hit with our toddler...and we adults don't mind the excuse to eat it either!
Serves 8 (well...technically...but usually it only makes enough for a toddler, 2 adults and 1 adult lunch for the following day...we are fat kids at heart, though you may not know it looking at us!)
- 4 medium potatoes, chopped
- 1/2 white onion, diced
- 3 medium length white/yellow carrots (traditional orange carrots can be substituted for a more "cheddar" color), chopped
- Juice of 1 & 1/2 lemons (add more to taste)
- 2 medium garlic cloves
- 2-3 Tbs Nutritional Yeast (add more to taste)
- 1/4 cup cashews (I prefer roasted and not soaked for the taste and texture; a salted cashew is optional just adjust your salt input)
- Salt to taste
- 1 can full fat coconut milk [(or) 1 1/2 cups cashew milk + 1/8-1/4 cups shredded coconut]
- 1-2 tsp smoked paprika or color and taste
- 1-2 tsp turmeric for a more "cheddar" color
- Boil potatoes, onion and carrots until soft.
- Add 2/3 of boiled vegetables to blender. Add the remaining ingredients and blend on highest setting until smooth. Add lemon, garlic, and salt to taste. If a thinner sauce is desired add more liquid of choice. If thicker, add more of the boiled vegetables.
- Save the remaining vegetables and saute in the morning for a delicious quick breakfast.
- Save any unused sauce and use to refresh reheated noodles for lunch the next day or add to a soup to thicken and make a richer broth.