Easy Confidence Building Bread Rolls
These wonderful fluffy rolls are incredibly easy! If you are hesitant about making a loaf of bread, this is the place to start. These can replace any dinner roll need and are delicious. We have made these for many a gathering and they always impress. You may end up like us and start accumulating recipes for meals you can make that will simply offer an excuse to include these as a accompaniment.
- 2 Tbsp organic cane sugar
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1 packet rapid-rise yeast
- 2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour (sub up to 1/3 with whole-wheat pastry // plus more for kneading)
- 1/2 cup unsweetened plain almond milk
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 Tbsp vegan butter + more for topping
- (Optional) Oats, dehydrated or roasted garlic, chia seeds or other goodies for topping (**apply toppings after buttering the tops right before sending into the oven to bake)
- In a large mixing bowl, combine first 3/4 cup flour, yeast, sugar and salt.
- In a separate mixing bowl (or small saucepan over medium heat), heat the water, almond milk and butter until warm - about 105-110 degrees F. It should be the temperature of bath water. If it’s too hot, it will kill the yeast.
- Add wet to the dry ingredients and whisk or beat for 2 minutes, scraping sides as needed.
- Add another 1/4 cup more flour and beat for another 2 minutes. Then, add only enough remaining flour to make a soft dough. Transfer to a lightly floured surface and knead until smooth and elastic. Then let rest 10 minutes.
- Divide the dough into about 12 pieces and place in a greased 8x8 dish or 8-inch round pan. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled in size - about 30-45 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. (Optional) and brush the tops with additional melted vegan butter.
- Bake for 18-20 minutes, or until fluffy and light golden brown.
- Best fresh but can be stored after cooling in a bread basket at room temp with a clean and dry dish cloth as a cover for about 24 hours....if they last that long!